6.22.2007

Sculpting "the hard body"

When I was in high school I was very athletic. I ran track for three years, played soccer my senior year, was a cheerleader for football and competitive cheerleading. Needless to say I was in good shape because all of those things forced me to be.
But then came college. I put on a few extra pounds and never hit the gym at all. I didn't participate in any sports. I just sat around.

I got back in shape getting ready for my wedding, but then wasn't very regular with it afterwards. Recently Wade and I are really trying to get better. So I thought I would give you some things that are helping me to stay with exercise this time.

  • Find a cardio plan that you enjoy. Wade can be the first to tell you that I HATE cardio. It is something that he had to drag and pull me to. But that made me hate exercising more. So we decided to take our first spin class last week and I loved it. It pushed me harder than anything I had ever done, but I thought it was fun. I have already done the class now 3 times in one week and I look forward to going back. Keep switching up your cardio until you find something that you could go back to with some excitement.
  • Do weights! I know there are a lot of people that think if they go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for an hour then they are staying in shape. Well, one you probably aren't pushing yourself very much and two you aren't doing weights. It doesn't matter if you have to start out doing 3 lbs with arm curls. Actually, 3-5lbs is what I do with arm curls. But that is what is going to start toning your muscles. The cardio is just going to help you see them. Plus building muscle through weightlifting actually helps you burn more calories! You can always get a trainer to show you the best thing for you to do in one session. Or you can check out some health magazines to get some ideas on good weightlifting. I get SHAPE magazine.
  • Find a good time to go. Wade and I have tried going around 6 AM, but it is so hard to wake up. Lately, we have gone right when I have gotten off work and that has worked except I have to take two showers that day. But keep playing with when you are most likely to go. And try to go around 3 times a week to see results. Otherwise, you are just giving your body too much time to recover and it is going to take you forever to get in shape or your body can just get used to what you do and you will just stay the same size. Vary things up and push yourself. You will thank yourself later when look in the mirror and see results.
  • Have a buddy. Going with Wade to the gym really helps me. I don't know if I would have tried a spin class without someone I knew there with me. So it helps to have someone that you can be motivated with. I am going to try and weightlifting class next week with one of my friends because Wade does manly weights. If it wasn't for her going with me though I would be to scared to go in there by myself.
  • If you don't have money, use the outdoors. This is one I don't do, but I thought I would include it for anyone out there. Even if you can't go to the gym you can always take walks/jogs outside after dinner or something. And you can use those magazines to see what you can do at home for weights.

I am still trying to be better at staying in shape, but these few things are helping me sculpt the "hard body." Hope you start sculpting yours!

No comments: