2.09.2007

Open the Door

So last night I was thinking about the phrase: "If it is meant to be, God will open the door." I wondered where this came from. It seemed like I heard something like it in the Bible, but where was it. I asked Wade and in his half asleep state he said "keyword search on biblegateway." So I did a little biblegateway search and found these verses.

Matthe 7:7-8
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Now there may be some other place that this phrase comes out of in the Bible, but I am just going to assume since nothing else jumped out at me that this is all we have. Now, I have said, "If it is meant to be, God will open the door" many times. And the best way I can think to tell you how I use that phrase is to think back on my old track days.
Here is the scenario. I ran the 800 meter race (half a mile). Now I was pretty good. I usually came in the top two places that is until one of my bestest friends Ashley started running track. She ALWAYS finished before me. So for awhile I was jealous, but then I just accepted it. I probably said something like this, "She is just faster than me. There isn't anything I can do about it. I will just be second or do something else that maybe I am good at." I don't know if you have made a connection to the phrase yet or not, but I use the open door phrase as an "oh, well" statement. I am not going to go above and beyond to make a dream happen because, you know what, God is in charge of it and he will open the door for me. But the verse says KNOCK and the door will be opened to you. I think of that as being really involved. I mean there are times when I have knocked A LOT on the door because I know someone is in the house they just haven't come to the door yet. Maybe God just wants to see how much you want it. How hard will you knock for it? What things will you knock out of the way to get a chance to push open a door that is only open for a few seconds. At least then if the door still doesn't open, I know that I did everything I could to show God how serious I was about it. God does control the doors. He isn't going to open it unless it is right for us, but I can't use the statement anymore to get a free ride. I have to do my part. I have to knock.

No comments: