8.28.2007

Nicknames

I never had a nickname growing up. And it kind of made me sad. I mean my friend Alyson was alycat. Then there was my friend Meagan who was Mae. Well I guess you could count all of my mom's random names for me (Ferris Bo berris, Fericio, are there more Mom?) Anyway, when I got to college I met one of my best friends Laura who is now a missionary in Slovakia and she and some other people gave me the nickname Fe...as in Santa Fe. I never thought it would stick. I mean this was new terroritory could I be cool enough to keep the ever coveted nickname?

Of course I was cool enough. Why did you even doubt. Laura ended up introducing me to her friend Jamie as Fe and what would you know...Jamie is Wade's cousin. So when I started dating Wade a little later on, Jamie let the whole Joye/Ross family know that my name was Fe and it officially stuck. I am now Aunt Fe to my little baby niece Pressley (at least that is what I call myself to her) and when I stare at the TV with my mouth wide-open it is called Fe face (thanks again to Laura).

So to everyone out there who desperately wants a nickname I have a little bit of advice for you. Just be patient. Nicknames come with time and are usually the best when someone else gives it to you and when it is out of the blue. But if all else fails then just shorten your name to two letters. Then introduce yourself like this (except use your given name and nickname), "Hi, my name is Ferris, but everyone calls me Fe." Then of course that person will want to do want "everyone" else is doing. And then a nickname is born.

6 comments:

Kelly H. said...

Larry will give everyone a nickname if they hang out with him a few times. Didn't he start calling you Fer-omone? As in pheromone? Sorry about that, I can't control him. Fe is much better.

Sharlie said...

Hey Aunt Fe....are you ever going to send/show the pics that you took while you were here?

Also, I do need the iron at some point. Will Mom and Dad be going to visit you? Maybe they can pick it up.

Love you.

Erin said...

Hi Ferris! We met the other night at Holly's baby shower...I'm sure you can remember me over the other 40 women you were introduced to?! Kelly H. led me to your blog...
I've just read several posts, lots of fun! Glad to have you and Wade at Elevation!

George said...

I've always wanted a cool nickname, so I tried this ... but it backfired. I followed your simple instructions, Ferris is "Fe" (pronounced "FAY") and introduced myself as "Ge". Unfortunately, by using your pronounciation guidelines, it sounded like "Hi, I'm GAY". Unfortunately, THAT nickname will probably stick.

Anonymous said...

Ferris how can you forget ,,FBI???? Ferris Wheel? Ferris Bueller? ,,the Pics are really good,,,loved them all , I needed to see them it made me feel good to see them..love you MoM

Laura Troutman said...

i believe it was on the road to charleston in my parents' van in which this beautiful nickname was born. oh, those were the days....