5.23.2007

Awe, the story of Ruth

I think that Ruth may be one of my favorite books in the Bible. It could seriously be a Lifetime movie or something. Anyway, I just finished reading it as I am journeying through the Old Testament and the Gospels simultaneously. So I thought I would share with you some little goodies I took from it. These points mainly target single ladies because that is what the book is about and I am adding some of my wisdom of two years of marriage!

1. Ruth has such an amazing respect of her mother-in-law.
Ruth's husband dies and it is only her, her sister-in-law, and her mother-in-law left. Even when her SIL Orpah ditches Naomi, Ruth clings to her. Also, she listens to every little piece of advice that Naomi gives her. This just reminded me to respect any woman who can say I've been there and done that. If you aren't listening to your mom or whatever older woman in your life then try seeing situations from her angle...she has tons more wisdom.

2. God looks after us.
This book comes immediately after this ordeal happened. So when Ruth journeyed into the fields to gather grain anything could have happened to her. But she went into Boaz's field who was a God fearing good man! This isn't a coincidence. God put her in the field of Boaz who is almost her kinsman redeemer. And God already knew that from this line he would bring David and Jesus. God definitely knew what he was up to.

3. We see a great example of a man that a single women should seek after.
This is the first thing we read about Boaz:
Just then Boaz arrived from Bethlehem and greeted the harvesters, "The LORD be with you!"
"The LORD bless you!" they called back.
Now ladies...I can't begin to tell you how important it is to seek after a man of God. I am so blessed to have Wade. A man of God is going to pray for you, protect you, pursue you, cherish you, and encourage you (and much more). Wade does all these things. I used to have a self-esteem issue, but since Wade consistently built me up I rarely have those episodes of self-pity anymore. You will see over and over again where Boaz builds up Ruth's character as well.

4. Your real "Boaz" may not look like your Boaz in your head.
The only reason I say this is because I had a strange realization as I was reading today.
Before today this is what was in my head of Ruth and Boaz...
Ruth: average height, petite girl, dark hair, probably about 21, and beautiful
Boaz: muscular guy (from gathering lots of grains), blond hair, maybe 28, very handsome
Then I read this!
"The LORD bless you, my daughter," he replied. "This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor."
AND...we found out he is the brother of Naomi's deceased husband.
So Boaz is at least a generation older than Ruth. So I got this picture in my head now where Boaz is still very handsome, but he kinda has that George Clooney look, some salt and pepper hair but keeps himself in shape kind of guy. So all that to say that God may bring someone different than who you have had your eye out for.

Hope this makes you want to pick up the Bible and read one of my fave books! It is only 4 chapters so it should take you about 10 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: